Self-marketing skills come naturally to a small percentage of employees. Successful self-marketing helps employees separate themselves from other employees interested in climbing that internal corporate ladder. Many employees have observed those who highlight attributes and “sell” themselves with ease…and know they should too! They simply don’t know how!
Additional reasons employees hesitate to promote themselves include:
- They have been raised to be humble, subdued, and modest and find it difficult to break out of this mindset.
- They may have observed blatant and transparent self-promotion and vowed never to be this person.
- They are hoping their good work will “speak” for them.
Organizations can encourage appropriate self-marketing using these strategies:
- Offer a “Lunch and Learn” workshop to teach all employees self-marketing skills.
- Teach managers to encourage modest employees to discuss their interests and market themselves appropriately. It’s important that employees feel they have the communication, problem-solving, feedback, and recognition that they need from their boss.
- Feature a panel of successful employees for all personnel to hear and share their advice and experiences during a lunch “All Hands” meeting.
Role models are powerful tools to show employees career marketing skills that will help them reach the growth, success, and level they desire. Are your employees’ needs for development, meaningful work, and position, being met?